ChatGPT considers Performance-based Hiring a game-changer for raising the talent bar with stronger and more diverse talent for every critical position from staff level to senior executive. It begins with how job descriptions are written and posted and ends on the first year anniversary date when the new person and the hiring manager both agree they made the right decision.
This is part 1 of a multi-part series of articles covering in depth each of the points below. Here’s how to get started hiring stronger and more diverse talent:
- Watch this 5-minute introductory video.
- Join the Hire with Your Head book club.
- Invest your time with this LinkedIn Learning Performance-based Hiring bundle.
- Learn the basics in one hour on the Win-Win Hiring learning platform.
With this background here’s how you can use ChatGPT to jumpstart your road to making better hiring decisions:
- Define success, not skills. First ask ChatGPT to convert any traditional job description into a performance-based job description. This is a great way to attract stronger talent if you ask it to write the EVP, too.
- Prequalify prospects. To raise the talent bar you need to spend more time with only 4-5 semi-finalists. These are people who can not only do the work but also would see the role as a career move. ChatGPT can help you identify these people, write Boolean strings and emails, and generate a list of outstanding referrals.
- Recognize that diversity hiring does not require compromise. This legal whitepaper from a top labor attorney describes how a performance-based job description broadens the talent pool to include more diverse and high potential candidates while also raising a company’s overall talent level.
- Increased interviewing accuracy. The performance-based interview is without question the most accurate, objective and unbiased interview on the planet. Just ask ChatGPT why and then get started with this one powerful question.
- Measure Quality of Hire. Using the Hiring Formula for Success in combination with the Performance-based Interview and Quality of Hire Talent Scorecard it’s possible to accurately measure quality of hire pre-hire and track it post hire. Here’s what ChatGPT thinks of this approach.
- Recruit on career growth vs. compensation max. Candidates too often accept the biggest compensation package when comparing offers and are quickly disappointed when the job falls short of expectation. Here’s ChatGPT’s advice on how to make better long-term career decisions.
- Onboarding – no surprises! The performance-based interview involves asking candidates to describe accomplishments most comparable to the major performance objectives of the open job. If the candidate is surprised about what these are during the onboarding process, satisfaction and success is unlikely. This should never happen!
- Performance management. The same process used to manage someone post hire is simplified by defining work as a series of performance objectives pre-hire. It’s this integration that makes Performance-based Hiring an effective end-to-end business system similar to every other company business process.
- Win-Win Hiring. Hiring for the first year anniversary date rather than the start date involves more discipline information gathering on the part of the candidate, the hiring manager and the recruiter. The result is less turnover, greater job satisfaction and improved on-the-job performance. That’s why ChatGPT gives it a high five ranking!
With ChatGPT in now only takes one hour to make better hiring decisions. What’s surprising is how many hours hiring managers spend correcting their wrong ones.
Lou Adler is the CEO and founder of Performance-based Hiring Learning Systems – a consulting and training firm helping recruiters and hiring managers around the world hire more leaders. Lou is the author of the Amazon top-10 best-seller, Hire With Your Head (John Wiley & Sons, 4th Edition, 2021), The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired (Workbench Media, 2013) and LinkedIn Learning’s Performance-based Hiring video training program (2016). His new course on LinkedIn Learning – Integrating Performance-based Hiring in into the Performance Management (2023) – in now available. Make sure you check out his Hire with Your Head Book Club for the latest hiring ideas and trends.